Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is the second installment in the Monkey Island series.
It was the first game to be released under the LucasArts trade name (previously LucasFilm Games), and also to feature the now iconic gold man logo.
"I thought I'd killed the Ghost Pirate LeChuck for good. Wrong. How many times can that bloated old fool die? Other pirates tell me there's no escape. "When LeChuck wants you dead, you're dead", they say. Legend has it that the treasure of Big Whoop holds the key to great power... I must find it before LeChuck finds me".
Its control scheme and gameplay is exactly the same as the first game. It uses the same engine: SCUMM. It also introduced iMuse, a revolutionary music system allowing for flawless transitions between themes in different areas and rooms.
Chapter 1: The Largo Embargo
Arriving on Scabb Island, Guybrush is soon made aware of the embargo tax enforced by Largo LaGrande. He must find a way to scare him off the island, before finding his own means to get away.
Chapter 2: Four Map Pieces
Guybrush is told he must find the treasure of Big Whoop in order to stop the newly reanimated LeChuck. But first he must traverse the islands of Scabb, Booty and Phatt to find the four map pieces that will lead to the treasure.
Chapter 3: LeChuck's Fortress
Sneaking inside LeChuck's fortress in a crate, Guybrush must rescue his friend and escape before LeChuck finds and destroys him.
Chapter 4: Dinky Island
Arriving on Dinky Island, Guybrush must find the hidden treasure. But when he does he finds himself in a network of tunnels battling LeChuck once again.
A special Edition was released by LucasArts in July 2010. As with the previous special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island it features character voices, a hint system, HD art and HD sound. A touch of a button reverts to the classic CD-ROM version with its original sound.
Various new features were also added. Guybrush can now be moved with an anologue stick on consoles and select options are given for each objects. There is also now object highlighting which lights up interactive objects at the push of a button.
2 hours of commentary were also recorded for the edition by members of the original crew. This commentary becomes available when selected at select moments in the game. Concept art used for creating the special edition is also viewable once unlocked through play.
The opening sequence of dancing monkeys and credits however has been removed.
It was released for PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and Iphone/Ipod touch.
- The Max costume in the Costume Shop has been replaced with a Purple Tentacle costume presumably due to Lucasarts not owning the Sam & Max IP. Interestingly, the Sam costume is still there, albeit obscured by the Purple Tentacle one.
- Two of the other costumes, resembling Fred Flintstone and Huckleberry Hound, were modified to have less copyright-infringing designs.
- When looking at the mirror in the Booty Island Mansion, Guybrush would remark that he looked like "Zonker Harris in a dress", a character from the Doonesbury comic strip. This was changed to Guybrush saying he looked like "Kyle Katarn", a character from the Star Wars Expanded Universe (now the non-canon Legends).
- When LeChuck says he's got another surprise for Guybrush, the latter could say that he hopes it's "a Nintendo game". This is changed to refer to "a Lucasarts game" in the Special Edition.
- Chester is now depreciated as male in the Special Edition graphics and is voiced by Patrick Hallahan. The original female Chester is given her own unique voice if playing on classic mode, voiced by Meg Crowell.
- Largo Embargo Complete - Complete Part 1
- Four Map Pieces Complete - Complete Part 2
- LeChuck's Fortress Complete - Complete Part 3
- A True Pirate - Complete the game
- Speed Demon - Finish the game in under three hours.
- Monkey Master - Beat the game without using one hint.
- Free Thinker - Beat the game using fewer than 10 hints.
- Old School - Switch to classic mode at least once.
- Five Minutes Later... - Allow Guybrush to die.
- Turning the Lights Out - Complete the game by using object highlighting five times or less.
- Helium Inhaler - Guybrush inhales some helium.
- Call 9-1-1 - Call the LucasArts helpdesk when walking through the jungle on Dinky Island.
|Monkey Island Games|
The Secret of Monkey Island (special edition) • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (special edition)• The Curse of Monkey Island • Escape from Monkey Island • Tales of Monkey Island • Return to Monkey Island